About Arcadian Library Online
“This collection is … user-friendly … and accessible … All facsimiles are of outstanding quality and visual appeal. Browsing through the Arcadian Library is an aesthetic pleasure. This new quarry will be welcomed by libraries of universities that host large Middle Eastern studies departments, not to mention Middle Eastern institutions that want to foster studies on their cultural heritage.”
“This is a beautiful and fascinating collection … for scholars and researchers with a deep interest in the influence of the Middle East on the West.”
The award-winning Arcadian Library Online is designed to enable easy exploration of the rich holdings of the Arcadian Library.
Read reviews and endorsements.
Benefits for researchers
- Access Middle Eastern and European texts from across a millennium, presented within a thematic framework
- Access over 90,000 pages of rare primary sources and historically significant material, many of which are made available publicly for the first time through the platform
- Collection includes titles in multiple languages to facilitate comparative and intercultural research
- View high-resolution, full colour images (400ppi) including bindings, clasps and page edges
- View images in full screen, zoom, rotate, single or double page view
- Access full catalogue records including available provenance and condition notes
- Special features including decoration, marginalia, signature marks and illustrations indexed at a page level to enable quick jumps to pages of interest
- Search or browse fully indexed metadata with a dedicated taxonomy enabling filtered search by topic, place, period, people, language or content type
- Navigate directly via linked tables of contents to page images at part, title and section heading levels, where available
- View metadata and images in either English or Arabic interfaces, with transliterated titles
- Search metadata in English or Arabic, with integrated Arabic keyboard
- Read accompanying commentary articles linked to primary texts
- Easily cite, share, favourite and bookmark content
- Print and download images
- Print the full text HTML of commentary articles
- Create a personal account to save searches and content
- View recently accessed items
Take a video tour of the platform features and functionality.
Recommend this product to your librarian. The full content list is available to download here.
Benefits for librarians
- Full institutional authentication (SAMS), supports SHIBBOLETH
- COUNTER 4 reporting
- Library branding
- Promotional support – flyers, logos and web banners
- MARC21 records including Library of Congress Subject Headings, book descriptions and DOI- based persistent URL links
Find out more about how to trial or purchase Arcadian Library Online.
History of Science and Medicine collection
The History of Science and Medicine collection is the foundational catalogue of the Arcadian Library. It was created to bring together one of the world’s most important and unique collections of books and manuscripts relating to this topic in order to showcase the contribution of early Arab and Persian scientists, doctors and thinkers; their translation, reception and influence in Europe and their lasting influence on the development of Western scientific and medical knowledge. It comprises manuscripts, incunabula, early printed books and monographs from the 10th to twentieth centuries, including:
- Texts on agriculture, astronomy, chemistry, herbalism, mathematics, medicine, natural history, pharmacology, philosophy, physics and surgery
- Texts on the plants, animals and natural environment of the Middle East
- Texts on travel and scientific expeditions exploring the Middle East
- Texts in Arabic, Dutch, English, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Latin, Persian and Spanish
Read commentary articles about the collection