About the Arcadian Library
Exploring the shared cultural heritage of the Middle East and the West
The Arcadian Library is an exceptional, privately-owned library, which respects and celebrates the centuries-old interface between Europe and the Middle East. Through the rich resource of its holdings this beacon of knowledge demonstrates to the world the enduring relationship that has bound the West to its neighbouring civilization beyond the shores of the Mediterranean Sea for centuries. The Arcadian Library preserves book after book full of travellers' observations and artists' images, scientists' and physicians' knowledge, literary, scholarly and historical influences. This written heritage reminds us how our different yet dependent cultures have met, related and learnt from each other for hundreds of years. In addition to rare printed books, the Arcadian Library also possesses manuscript and documentary material of very great importance and rarity.
Arcadian Library Online brings together the riches of the Arcadian Library in digital form for the first time.
Studies in the Arcadian Library (Oxford University Press)
General Editor: Alastair Hamilton
- André du Ryer and Oriental Studies in Seventeenth-Century France, Alastair Hamilton and Francis Richard, 2004
- The True Description of Cairo: A Sixteenth-Century Venetian View, Nicholas Warner, 2006
- Ibn Baklarish's Book of Simples: Medical Remedies between Three Faiths in Twelfth-Century Spain; Charles Burnett; Ana Labarta; Joelle Ricordel; Juan Carlos Villaverde Amieva; Jan Just Witkam; Geoffrey Khan; David J. Wasserstein; Emilie Savage-Smith; Anna Contadini, 2008
- Scientific Expeditions to the Arab World (1761-1881), Ivo Klaver, 2009
- Aleppo Observed: Ottoman Syria through the Eyes of Two Scottish Doctors, Alexander and Patrick Russell, Maurits van den Boogert, 2010
- An Arabian Utopia: The Western Discovery of Oman, Alastair Hamilton, 2010
- The Arcadian Library: Western Appreciation of Arab and Islamic Civilisation, Alastair Hamilton, 2011
- Visions of the Jinn: Illustrators of the Arabian Nights, Robert Irwin, 2011
- The Arcadian Library: Bindings and Provenance, Giles Mandelbrote; Willem de Bruijn; Alastair Hamilton; Anthony Hobson; P. J. M. Marks; John-Paul Ghobrial; Nicholas Pickwoad, 2014
- Western Women Travelling East, 1716-1916, Penelope Tuson, 2014